Walky Dog Instructions
Walky Dog Bike Leash: General Mounting Instructions
Assembly is very easy: it takes no more than five minutes and you're ready to begin biking with your dog, with both hands safely on the handlebars.
1. After opening the packaging, separate the two parts of the fixing jaw (7 and 8) from the tubular bar (5);
2. Position the two parts of the fixing jaw on the saddle-holding pole, slightly tightening the screws (9). (Allow the jaw to stay in position but still free to be adjusted);
3. In case of non-standard seat post diameter (or simply to avoid scratches) wrap the rubber band (6) around the post before positioning the jaw.
4. Hook up the tubular bar (5), orienting it towards the back of the bike at an angle of about 20°.
5. Now, just tighten the screws firmly, and you are ready to go.
6. Make sure the quick-lock (11) is completely engaged. See schematic above.
Adjusting the product:
The cord length can be adjusted by regulating the number of springs in the internal shock-absorbing system. By reducing the number of springs, the cord becomes lengthened and the spring tension is reduced, thus adapting the WalkyDog® to small sized dogs. The internal spring system can be accessed by unscrewing the front bullet terminal (3) and removing the cord (2). Undo the cord from the snap-link connector (1) and remove one or two springs; feed the cord back through the snap-link again before re-inserting the system inside the tubular bar.
See Below for General Adjustment Suggestions:
- Use 3 springs for adult dogs such as Alaskan Malamutes, Dobermans and the like;
- Use 2 springs for adult dogs such as Siberian Husky, Golden Retriever, Dalmatians, German Shepherds and the like;
- Use 1 spring for shorter height dogs of the above-mentioned breeds and generally for small sized dogs. Remember - The WalkyDog is recommended for dogs 30 lbs or more
The fixing jaw loses its grip Solution: Every now and then, just make sure the jaw's screws are firmly tightened.
The cord is too short/long for the dog Solution: Adjust the number of internal springs until the desired length is achieved.
The cord has begun to fray Solution: Our cords are specially selected for use with the WalkyDog. Nevertheless, due to specific use conditions/dog behaviour they can deteriorate (nothing lasts forever!).
Replace the cord: any similary shaped cord with the same diameter will do the trick. We recommend 550 paracord. You can purchase pre-cut lengths from us here or find cording at most hardware stores.
Now you're ready introduce your dog to biking. Pay careful attention to regulate the intensity, length and speed of each training session to the fitness and health condition of your dog. Once your bike is parked, simply disengage the WalkyDog and use it as a comfortable handheld leash.
Safety and Getting Started
We offer a dog biking tips and safety guide that is highly recommended before getting started. This guide will help you determine if biking is right for your dog and how to acclimate them to the activity. A comfortable padded dog harness is recommended. While biking is a fun activity for many dogs, it's not for all dogs. If your dog doesn't seem comfortable with the idea after slowly introducing them, you can return the Walkydog to us for a full refund - we will even cover the shipping.
Never push your dog beyond their limits. This activity should be fun for the both of you and is supplemental to other fun activities with your dog such as regular walks, games of fetch, and trips to the dog park :)